School and work have kept me too busy to post for a while! I have finished one year of the MBA program so will try to catch up on class overviews while I’m technically on break before January’s classes begin.
A few lessons
- Evaluating Financial Performance
- Discounted Cash Flow Valuation
- Interest Rates & Bond Valuation
- Stock & Stock Valuation
- Capital Budgeting: Forecasting the Relevant Cash Flows
- Capital Budgeting: the Investment Decision
- Risk & Return
- Weighted Average Cost of Capital
The course goals:
- This course will help you understand concepts, processes, and frameworks related to financial decision making in publicly held corporations.
- Develop an understanding of the underpinnings of corporate finance theories and principles.
- Identify how corporate financial decisions are made.
- Apply the methods of obtaining capital to support financial decisions.
- Corporate Finance: Core Principles and Applications, 5th edition Ross, Westerfield, Jaffe and Jordan.
- How we use ratios to assess the financial health of corporations
- The role of time value of money in corporate decision-making
- Credit cards, excess debt, and the time value of Money “Journal of Financial Education”. (Spring 2015)
- The role of high yield bonds in the bond market
- Stock market valuations
- Consider the difficulties in choosing investments that are visible and those that are not
- Murphy, M. “CFO Journal: Investment Gaps Show up in Public,”Wall Street Journal, Eastern Edition, 12 January 2016, p. B7.
- Consider the difficulties in choosing investments via the capital budgeting process in a foreign country
- Pathirawasam, C. “Capital Budgeting Practices: Evidence from Sri Lankan Listed Companies” International Journal of Management and Applied Science, ISSN: 2394-7926 Volume-2, Issue 5, May 2016, pp. 23 – 26.
- Consider the whether you agree with Neil Woodford’s view of volatility and risk
- Consider the extent to which the Federal Reserve influences the WACC
I started the online MBA program at Montclair State University in January 2017.