School and work have kept me too busy to post for a while! I have finished one year of the MBA program so will try to catch up on class overviews while I’m technically on break before January’s classes begin.
What is Project Management?
According to the Project Management Institute (PMI) a project is a temporary endeavor undertaken to create a unique product, service, or result.
•Temporary because there are start and end dates
•Unique because it is a one-time endeavor
Project management is the discipline of applying business knowledge, management processes, tools and techniques to lead, manage, facilitate, and coordinate projects.
The goal of project management is to enhance the likelihood of project success and to achieve greater efficiency and effectiveness.
The course goals:
- To understand the range, scope, and complexity of modern projects.
- To develop a strategic, system perspective on the management of projects.
- To learn how to apply modern project management tools and techniques.
- To address the role of the project manager in an organization, and ways of structuring organizations to manage projects.
- To gain an appreciation of project management and how it impacts businesses today
Project Management Body of Knowledge 6th Edition (PMBOK 6)
- Talent Gap: Project Management through 2020. Project Management Institute, 2013.
- The high cost of low performance. Project Management Institute, 2016.
- Five Critical Roles in Project Management. Harvard Business Review, 2016.
- PMI® Pulse of the Profession: Capturing the Value of Project Management. Project Management Institute, 2015.
- Sull, D., Homkes, R., and Sull, C.; Why strategy execution unravels – and what to do about it., 2015. Harvard Business Review 93(3), 57-66.
- Communication: The Message Is Clear. Project Management Institute, 2013.
- Júnior, A.C., Porto, G.S., Pacífico, O., Salgado, J., and Alexandre, P. ; Project Stakeholder Management: A Case Study of a Brazilian Science Park, 2015. Journal of Technology Management & Innovation.
- “Joe Knight, Roger Thomas, and Brad Angus; Battle Scope Creep in Your
Projects, 2013. Harvard Business Review Online.
- Parkinson, CN.; Parkinson’s Law, 1955. The Economist.
- Basu, Abhi; Is Your Schedule Late at the Starting Gate?, 2005. AACE International Transactions; Morgantown (2005): PS71-PS78.
- Five Critical Roles in Project Management. Harvard Business Review Online, 2016.
- Peeler, D.; The importance of Critical Thinking: A Cost Management and Budget Slant, 2006. Armed Forces Comptroller.
- Edward J., Kinlaw, CS., and Kinlaw, DC.; Developing superior project teams, Scope Management. A Conference Paper., 2000. Project Management Institute. A Conference Paper.
- Margareta Gällstedt; Working conditions in projects: Perceptions of stress and motivation among project team members and project managers, 2003. International Journal of Project Management. Volume 21, Issue 6, August 2003, Pages 449-455.
- Tannenbaum, R. and Schmidt, WH.; How to choose a leadership pattern, 1973. Harvard Business Review (May/June 1973): 162-180.
- Johnson, J., & Mulder, H.; CHAOS Chronicles, focusing on failures and possible improvements in IT projects, 42552. Conference Paper. The 10th International Multi-Conference on Society, Cybernetics and Informatics: IMSCI 2016, At Orlando, Florida, USA.
- Johnson, J., & Mulder, H.; CHAOS Chronicles, focusing on failures and possible improvements in IT projects (YouTube Video), 42552. Conference Paper. The 10th International Multi-Conference on Society, Cybernetics and Informatics: IMSCI 2016, At Orlando, Florida, USA
- Project close-out. CDC Unified Process Practice Guide, 2006.
I started the online MBA program at Montclair State University in January 2017.